Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sue Gregg's Apple Oat Muffins

My wonderful husband got me the entire set of Sue Gregg Cookbooks for my birthday last month. These are the most amazing cookbooks I've ever owned. Sue believes in using fresh, organic ingredients when possible, and soaking your grains before making bread. It's a very healthy way to eat, and every recipe I've tried so far has been fabulous.

Click on the link above to visit her website and learn more about her cooking philosophy.

Although they did not photograph well, the Apple Oat Muffins are delicious. They remind me of a giant oatmeal cookie. If I had not made them myself, I would never have guessed them to be healthy. They are extremely moist and full of flavor.

Apple Oat Muffins

Amount: 12 medium muffins

Bake: 375 degrees F (190 C) - 20 minutes

1. Preheat oven. Grease/spray muffin pan.

2. Stir together in large mixig bowl and let stand 5 min.:

1 c. buttermilk

1 c. rolled oats (uncooked)

1/2 c. raisins

3. Blend together dry ingredients in seperate bowl:

1 c. whole wheat flour

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I used 2 tsp.)

1/2 tsp. salt

4. Blend vigorously into oats and buttermilk:

1 egg

1/3 c. honey

5. Cut into wedges, core, and grate coarsely:

1 medium apple, unpeeled

6. Blend dry ingredients into liquid ingredients just until mixed. Fold in grated apple.

7. Fill muffin cups almost full and bake.

8. Cool 5 min. before removing from pan. Turn muffins upside down until ready to serve.

***Sue's notes: These muffis will be moist and heavier than other muffins because of the oats and they do not rise as high. You may think they are not quite baked, but they will be golden brown on the bottom. Best served warm.

These are my new favorite muffins!

No comments: