Wednesday, January 27, 2010

In the Kitchen: Frugal Tips

saving cheese 2

My grandmother was one of the most precious, influential people in my life. Like so many, she was touched by the Great Depression and it influenced how she lived her life.

She was a seamstress, sewing most of the clothes her daughters wore. She was a gardener, growing most of the food they ate. And she was always frugal. She had no choice. She often had to make do, or do without.

My grandmother, Nanny as we called her, passed that tradition down to my mother, and my mother passed it to me. I am grateful for the things I’ve learned from her.

saving cheese

Because of her wisdom and frugality, I know to buy cheese by the block. It keeps longer, and is much cheaper. If it grows a little mold on the edges, I know it doesn’t have to be thrown out. The outside edges can be cut off and discarded. The cheese in the middle is still good.

saving lettuce

I’ve also learned that leaving the core on a head of lettuce greatly improves it’s ability to keep. My lettuce lasts for at least a couple of weeks in the crisper. The wilt-y outside leaves may need to be discarded, but the middle leaves are often kept crisp and fresh if the core is left intact.

I have so many things to be thankful for. And I know, from Nanny’s wisdom, that if you waste not, you’ll want not.

No comments: