Friday, January 15, 2010

Sewing: My first quilt

pop garden fabrics I’ve had this fabric in my stash for almost a year now. It’s high time I put it to good use! I purchased it knowing it would become my first quilt. I love this fabric.

021

I especially love the fact that I purchased it on sale for 40% off at www.fabric.com and had it shipped, free of charge, to my door.

And I found a great site for sewing, quilting, knitting, etc. supplies: www.createforless.com It was the only place I could find to order Warm and Natural batting and 505 Spray and Fix at a reasonable price. Most sites I found have one or the other, but not both, or the prices were outrageous. Orders over $100 ship free from Create for Less. I went ahead and ordered enough batting and supplies for 2 quilts (aren’t I ambitious?) and some patterns and books they had on clearance to take advantage of the free shipping offer.

Definitely check out their clearance section. I’ll be having a giveaway soon of some patterns I got on sale. One is a quilt pattern, and the other is for the cutest stuffed animals.

010

This will be my first time sewing in my new space. The natural light is wonderful in this room.

It feels good to be getting back in the swing of things. In case you’re wondering, I’ve been at home the past few weeks recovering from surgery (nasty little ruptured disc in my neck). It’s allowed me to pop in here more than usual. I have a few weeks left must before I return to the corporate world, so I’ll be trying to make the most of my free time.

014

Oh yes, the view from here is spectacular.

024

My thread seems to be happy with it’s new home, too.

019

I’m still debating 12” squares versus 6” squares, and stippling versus straight-line quilting. Decisions, decisions! I’m leaning toward something like this.

I guess I better get to it. I made a few practice mini-quilts (to use as potholders) so I could hone my stippling skills. They need a lot of honing at this point!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Your neck injury sounds so painful! Hope it's a lot better and that you get on well with your quilt, looking forward to seeing it.

Stacey said...

I am hoping that the sun doesn't rot you thread and or bleach out the color...Just a thought. But it is so beautiful in the window!!!