Monday, February 8, 2010

Favorite Places: Pine Level, AL

036

If you live in central Alabama, or find yourself passing through, Sikes and Kohn’s Country Mall is worth the stop. Every February they have a sale, and we all get new shoes. It’s a tradition.

029

They have boots, tennis shoes, Crocs, flip-flops, dress shoes, and on and on. They also have jeans, shorts, coveralls, purses, belts, dresses, and pretty much anything else you can imagine. Their everyday prices are good, but their sale prices are irresistible.

008

Lucky for me, Sikes and Kohn’s is only a 15 minute drive from our home, and I get to take the scenic back roads.

  015

I love the slow, lazy drive between my home and Pine Level, AL. There are very few houses along the way, but there are several old homesteads. I enjoy imagining what life would have been like for them.

019

So beautiful. There are a lucky few who inhabit this extremely rural area.

012

I had to laugh when I saw this sign!

022

And old barns make my heart swell.

023 

This is Pine Level’s one and only traffic light. It’s a caution light. My husband grew up here, so it’s nice to visit once in a while.

 And did I mention the shoes?

032

We’re good to go for the next year.

5 comments:

ALJ said...

I see that you are into organic gardening. I live in a new subdivision in Prattville. Of course the only trees around my house are the puny ones planted out front by the landscapers who did the whole neighborhood. I want to treat the back yard to remove any pesticides & chemicals left behind by the construction, etc.

Could you recommend any quick growing shade trees that thrive in this area? (Or some nice fruit bearing trees or shrubs?) I want to start gardening soon (we've tried in the past but failed miserably - partly, I'm sure, due to our own inexperience). I want to do "square foot" gardening to control the size & make it more pleasant for me (dissaray freaks me out). Our yard is primarily red clay, but we've got tons of earth worms out there, so I imagine it's far more aerated than normal for that type of soil.

Any helpful tips?

Melissa Price said...

ALJ, so happy you stopped by! There are several books I can recommend if you are new to organic gardening. They helped me get my start.

The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Organic Food

The Backyard Homestead (what you need to know to get the most (food wise) out of your backyard!)

Carrots Love Tomatoes (companion planting guide)

Seed to Seed (seed saving techniques so that you don't have to keep buying seeds every yeat)

And I don't have it myself, but have heard that the book 'Square Foot Gardening' by Mel Bartholomew is excellent.

You can find most of these books on Amazon.com for under $15 each. A small investment for a book you will reference for the rest of you life! You can click on the links in my sidebar to go to those books on amazon.

Also, we have an excellent garden store in our area: Southern Homes and Gardens (there is one in Montgomery and one in Wetumpka - you can goole it for directions) They carry many plants native to our area that are tax free. And all of the plants they sell are guaranteed to do well, or your money back. Talk to them about your soil and see what they suggest. They have been very helpful to me. I don't have red clay, so I can't make suggestions myself.

I hope this info is helpful to you. Feel free to email me (you didn't leave me yours!) at melissasews@gmail.com if you have any other questions.

God's Peace,
Melissa

the iandvertent farmer said...

Oh that church sign is just priceless! Kim

Mary Frances S. said...

Oh! I love Sikes and Kohn! Went to Troy University, and I always frequented to find shoes of all shapes and sizes... I totally agree about the famous February sale... a must-go event! - Mary Frances

Melissa Price said...

Mary Frances, I went to Troy University, too! Great school, fabulous campus. I loved living in Troy. We bought our very first house there. Those were good days.

:) Melissa