Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Serging right along


So, I finally took my Kenmore 16677 serger out of the box. I sat down with a nice hot cup of echinacea tea, and broke out the handy dandy DVD tutorial that came with the machine.



I made sure I had my scrap bowl nearby (and more tea) when I finally turned the machine on. I'm thinking, this isn't so hard. Isn't threading an inexpensive serger supposed to be difficult?



Then, I pressed the foot pedal. Uh-oh. Looking at the tangled threads, I realized I must not have threaded the machine properly afterall. I became a little discouraged, but I remembered what my mother taught me when I was growing up... If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

Good advice.

I watched the DVD of how to thread the machine a couple more times, and tried to thread it again. Success!


It really wasn't that hard. I was missing one little loop that the lower thread goes through. Once I remedied that, it serged a beautiful seam. It was my mistake. I've also found that it helps to thread it in a particular order. Lower thread, upper thread, right needle, left needle.

I must say that I am really impressed with this serger. I got it on sale for under $200. It took me about an hour to get it up and running (including the time for watching the DVDs.) Not bad at all.

3 comments:

Alexandra Frankel said...

Hi Melissa, I've recently stumbled across your blog. I love your posts. I also got a serger for Christmas... but I'm not having any luck threading it. It unfortunately did not come with a DVD, just a manual.Its a Janome 7034d. I think I will cave and take it back to the store we got it from and ask them for assistance. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Unknown said...

Under $200?! That's what I've been looking for! Kenmore, is that a Sears product? I am new to serging, but have been drooling about one for a couple of years now. Sounds like the perfect starter machine for me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Mr. D said...

Hello,
Looks like you are enjoying your serger. My wife just received the same serger as a gift, but the DVD was missing. Do you know of a way to download this, or a way of obtaining a copy? She got the machine threaded, but would like to learn how to do the stitches, especially the blind hem. You can e-mail me at chrsdtsn@hotmail.com, if you have any ideas.
Thanks,
Chris in Tennessee