Thursday, February 26, 2009

Surviving the Frost


I am relieved to report that my garden has survived the frost we experienced last week. And thankfully, temperatures have been much more comfortable this week - back in the 60's and 70's for highs where my strawberries seem more comforatable.


My onion transplants are looking quite scraggley since the frost. Even though I covered them with plastic which served as a makeshift greenhouse, they just do not seem to have fully recovered. I'm hoping the bulb of the onions are faring better than the tops.


The other veggies seem to be faring better. My sugar pod peas, broccoli, cabbages, swiss chard, and carrots remain unfazed. They have sprouted and seem to be thriving in spite of the freeze last week. I check everyday to see what else is sprouting. I'm awaiting lettuce, radishes, turnips, rutabagas, and mustard. I can hardly wait until it's time to plant some warmer weather vegetables.

No comments: