Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thrifty Treasures


I promised I would share my latest thrifty finds with you, and since I haven't had a chance to do any sewing this week, I guess now is as good a time as any.

I found a couple of vintage sheets that I see becoming pajama bottoms for me and maybe a night gown for Sara Lynn. The one with the blue butterflies and orangey-red poppies is my favorite. But, my best find had to be the pie plate.

That pie plate totally made my day. I love it, really I do. You can see printed on the plate a pecan pie recipe with very retro art of the ingredients. I have already used it to make a pecan pie (my husband's favorite.) It looks absolutely amazing with the golden brown edges of the plate peeking out from under the pie crust.

And the icing on the cake is that I have a gorgeous pumpkin-orange pie plate that my mother in law gave me. It has been in the family for years. It has the very same scalloped edging, and I can just see them with their pies (one pecan and one pumpkin, of coarse!) I even have a wrought iron two-tiered pie holder that will look smashing housing the duo. I almost wish we could have a Thanksgiving "do-over" just to be able to bake those pies!


On another note, my husband laughed at me when I took a picture of our favorite enchiladas last weekend. Partly because he had already sneaked a bite out of the corner. :) They trully are a family favorite... both kiddos love them. And they're soooo easy!

If you look carefully, you can see the bottom of my two-tiered pie holder in the picture above. When it isn't holding pies, I can't bear to put it away in a cabinet. It's much too beautiful. I opt instead to have it out displaying our fresh fruit.

EASY ENCHILADAS

1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cans enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso)
10 flour tortillas (or corn if you prefer)
8 ozs. shredded cheese

Garnish
Sour Cream
Olives
Lettuce
Salsa
Guacamole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown and crumble ground beef with diced onions added in beforehand. Drain excess fat. Add one can of enchilada sauce into the meat mixture. Grease a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish and roll 10 flour tortillas with an even amount of meat mixture. Place in the dish and top with reaming can of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with garnish as desired.


No comments: