Thursday, March 18, 2010

Homemade Whole Grain Pizza Crust

 010

You may have noticed that I’ve been consumed with bread making this month. It was a big part of my commitment to the Real Food Challenge over at Not Dabbling in Normal. It’s also been nice to make all of our bread. I’ve even made noodles and tortillas, which I’ll share later. But for now, I wanted to share this wonderful whole wheat pizza crust recipe with you. It’s easy and delicious.

016

As usual, I used a 1/2 spelt, 1/2 wheat mix in my dough, but I’m sure it would be delicious with all whole wheat. And I topped it with pizza sauce, cooked and crumbled ground beef (seasoned heavily with minced onions, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper), thinly sliced zucchini and bell pepper, and lots of mozzarella cheese. I always use whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand to top our pizza, and this week we had zucchini in our Grow Alabama vegbox, and I scored some semi-local Florida bell pepper at the health foods store.

It’s raining, again, but if it ever stops, I’m planning to start seeds for tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and onions this week. I can hardly wait to sink my teeth into some fresh tomatoes!!!

5 comments:

Ann said...

Delicious looking pizza!!!

Sorry to hear your gardening is being held up by the rain. We've been lucky with the weather this week, but rain is forecast for tonight.

Melissa Price said...

The pizza was fabulous, Ann. I highly recommend the crust. I love a simple bread recipe.

Unknown said...

mmmmm looks yummy Melissa. I will have to try that crust I think.

Alan said...

Looks great. The RF Challenge has connected so many folks. Great to see what you are doing. Can't wait to see more.

Melissa Price said...

Alan, I appreciate you stopping by to drop an encouraging word. Not Dabbling in Normal has been a tremendous source of inspiration for me. : ) Melissa