Tuesday, February 16, 2010

1 Toddler + 1 Sharpie = 1 Not-So-Happy Mama

004

Hmmm… I know EXACTLY who would do a thing like this.

We’ve had major problems with Sara Lynn’s recent artistic exploits. There has been toothpaste art on the bathroom counters, green smiley face ink stamps on the carpet at the top of the stairs, numerous suspicious crayon markings all over the house, and now, a black permanent Sharpie swirly on my dining room wall. Mama is not happy about this.

Sara Lynn is a girl who has her own sense of style, and she’s not shy about it. She often rearranges items around the house, moving candles from one spot to another, and stealing my good silverware for her play kitchen. I recently caught her putting away my neatly folded laundry in her playroom cupboards. That’s my girl. I had to smile, even though I knew I’d end up re-folding all those clothes.

Motherhood is such a wonderful journey. I try to remind myself this when I’m in the midst of an incident like the one with the Sharpie. I try to make the most of every day because I know that they’ll be grown and gone all too soon. God is good. Life is good. Life is short. Let’s not sweat the small stuff people! (But I am getting rid of the Sharpies!!!)

5 comments:

Ann said...

Oh dear - love your attitude though Melissa, the time goes so quickly, wish I'd been a bit more patient!

Stacey said...

I have an artist! she also once upon a time got hold of a sharpie and went to town on the brand new white cabinet we had just purchased. We eventually got it off but she scrubbed until she could scrub no more. she was about 4 at the time. I also had to invest in a large number of mr. clean erasers. they work great on a number of things but sharpie not so much. You can always paint over these things I find but it is so frustrating some days. The last thing I want to do is find a paint color to match what is already there.
Hang in there!

Melissa Price said...

Stacy, I'll give that eraser a try before I paint over it. Çertainly worth a shot! These things happen, but I'm hoping she's gotten it out of her system this time! :) Melissa

Tricia said...

skimming your blog after reading the taggy tutorial, and noticed this. We have 3 boys in our family. A few years ago, we bought sharpies for older two to use (they were using them for art at school), but we put them into a resealable plastic container, way up high on a shelf. The lid of the container read "Keep out of reach of [little bro]!!" In fact, the lid still says that, and we still store it up high out of inertia, but little brother is allowed to use them now. :^)

Melissa Price said...

Thanks for the tip, Tricia! It's funny, we haven't had a problem with the Sharpies before. They 'live' in one of my kitchen drawers. For whatever reason, she decided to experiment with them that day. I'm happy to report we haven't had any other problems since the above incident. I scolded her, and she cried about it, feeling very bad about my wall. Let's hope she remembers!