Friday, February 5, 2010

Trying something new: Embroidery

 thread

Well, it’s not exactly new to me, but since I haven’t embroidered anything since childhood, I feel like it’s the first time.

It seems I have my crafty mojo back lately. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I’ve been off from work for the past month! And I’m finally to the point in my recovery that I feel like doing something. Anything. EVERYTHING!

New lamps

These lamps are also new around here. When we bought this house, and spent our first night here, we realized that there were no overhead lights in any of the rooms. This doesn’t bother me because I am very fond of the soft glow that lamp light provides and overhead lighting is often harsh. But it meant that the lamps I already owned were relocated from their previous positions into spaces where light was need the most. Unfortunately for me, my sewing space did not make the cut.

I’ve spent the last few months perpetually on the look out for the perfect (and affordable) lamps I needed for my sewing table. I’ve been to thrift shops, and flea markets, and antique malls, but was unable to find a suitable used lamp at a reasonable price.

Sara Lynn

I often shop at Ross or TJ Maxx when I need (or want, to be more honest) something for my home and I cannot find it secondhand. They are both discount stores and have the most amazing kitchen gadgets, stoneware, and house wares in general, at unbelievably good prices. I found these lamps (which I adore) for $11.99 each, plus $1.99 for the shades. They were worth the wait. And I love getting a good deal!

embroidery project

I also picked up these nice kitchen towels for under $1 each. I have in mind exactly what I want to do with them. Back in the fall, I received Anna Maria Horner’s new book Seams to Me. (You can find the link in my sidebar. It’s my top recommendation for sewing books – an excellent choice for beginners, but it also has fun projects for any skill level.) I’ve been wanting to try her embroidered and appliquéd kitchen towels for some time. I’m crazy about those yo-yo flowers.

Seams to Me

So, it seems I’m good to go. And because I do nothing half way, I bought enough embroidery thread to last the rest of my life! It was an economical purchase I made at our local Hobby Lobby. For the same price of 20 small individual skeins of embroidery thread, I was able to buy a bulk package of 150 skeins of thread. A real no-brainer.

And, FYI, Hobby Lobby has a weekly online coupon which you can print out and save on in-store purchases. Usually it’s 40% off of any one item. How’s that for a good deal? It leaves me with no excuse not to try new projects.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Love the lamp. That embroidery thread was a real bargains wasn't it! I just had a couple of days of 'sewers' block myself (I wish sewer wasn't spelt the same a sewer).