Friday, February 26, 2010

Not Dabbling in Normal: Real Food Challenge

real_food_challenge_large1

Up until about an hour ago, I was still floundering on my decision to participate in this challenge. March will be a difficult month around my house. My hubs and I are both facing surgeries, we have a kitchen remodeling project underway, and it just didn’t seem doable. But… I am in, and will give it my best.

We already eat most things from scratch. No fast food or sodas for my family. For the last year, we have been steadily cutting out processed foods. We have been eating seasonally and locally (for the most part) this winter thanks to our local CSA: www.growalabama.com.  

We occasionally eat store bought crackers, chips, and breakfast cereal. Those will be difficult to completely do without, but not impossible. I’m planning to stock my freezer with homemade bread, muffins, cookies, and a few pre-made casseroles so we will be less tempted to ‘cheat’ on difficult days.

The crackers and chips will be the hardest for us. I’ve been wanting to try making my own crackers ever since Suzy mentioned that she makes her own. This is my golden opportunity to give it a go. And I’ll experiment with making homemade tortillas, too. I’m getting really excited!!! No more excuses. I think I’ll spend the day in my kitchen.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I'll be interested to see what you come up with for the crackers. I have made chips myself but they need to be freshly made don't they.

Love the kitchen makeover.