Thursday, March 12, 2009

A productive day...

We had a beautiful, almost-80-degree-day this past Saturday. Sara Lynn and I spent most of the day outside pruning away the remnants of Winter. There were piles and piles of leaves on the patio which accumulated the previous weekend when it snowed. We cleaned out old flower pots, hanging baskets, and flower beds making room for new inhabitants this Spring. My rose bushes received manicures, and my crepe myrtles, too. The vegetable garden was watered, and I even managed to get all the laundry done in between the garden chores. Did I mention that I also managed to cook dinner - grilled chicken, creamed corn, field peas, and potatoes? Whew! It was a good day...


I also discovered that I may never buy another transplant again. Starting my own tomatoes was much easier than I thought it would be. Those Jiffy Greenhouses you can get at your local garden store ($6) are the ticket. All you do is add warm water to those itty-bitty peat pellets and they swell up like crazy.

Then, you pull back the netting a bit and poke your seed into the peat. Easy as pie!

Here are my tomatoes covered and ready to go. I planted Early Girl, Jubilee, Jelly Bean, and Big Boy. You remove the lid once they have all sprouted. I'll let you know how it goes. And no, I have no idea what I'm going to do with 72 tomato tranplants, but I'll figure it out!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Looking at your tuna salad, I imagined how you will feel when your own tomatoes feature in your salads!!!