Friday, March 13, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins (Easy!)


So, I told you we were a muffin-loving family...

I meant it! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try. I wanted to make some healthy muffins for us to have for breakfast, but I didn't want to make the same muffins I always make. And, I had some very ripe bananas that needed to be used. (Did you know that you can freeze bananas whole - in the peel - for use later if you don't get a chance to use them? Thaw, and they're ready to go when you need them. As a matter of fact, I have a few in my freezer right now.)

I came across a great blog called Made Healthier which I have now bookmarked. These banana muffins were very good, and they do not have any oil in them at all. You can make them with skim or soy milk (I used 2%), and they have very little sugar in them. I love cooking with whole wheat flour, but if you've never used it before, you may want to use half whole wheat and half regular plain white flour. It's a different texture, and a bit heavier than white flour. But very good nonetheless, and much better for you.

My kids have been raiding the muffin dish like mad since I made these. One or two for breakfast, one for an afternoon snack, and one before bedtime. They are good, but a little on the bland side for my taste. (It may have something to do with the fact that I tripled the recipe. I told you we liked muffins! And I had 6 bananas I wanted to use.) The next time I make these muffins, I'll probably throw in an extra banana and add a bit more vanilla. I like my flavor kicked up a notch or two. It's a southern thing.

No comments: