Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Recipe: Easy Oven-Roasted Winter Root Vegetables with Thyme

CSA root veggies

We’ve been enjoying our CSA subscription to Grow Alabama this winter. We not only get the benefit of fresh, delicious, and organic fruits and vegetables delivered weekly, but we  also get to feel good about supporting local farmers and cutting down on food miles.  The subscriptions are surprisingly affordable. I spend less on organic produce through Grow Alabama than I would spend for the same quantities at the big-box grocery stores.

Recently in my vegbox there were onions, parsnips, turnips, carrots, potatoes…

CSA cabbage

And cabbage, too.

CSA stovetop

Let’s not forget the green beans and oranges!

CSA root veggies 2

One of my favorite ways to eat root vegetables is roasted in the oven.  Here is my no-fail, super easy recipe:

Easy Oven-Roasted Winter Root Vegetables with Thyme

4 parsnips

4 carrots (I only used 2 because my kiddos ate the other 2 raw!)

4 turnips

2 onions

8 new potatoes

1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil

2 tsp. dried thyme

2 tsp. sea salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash, peel, and dice all veggies (I do not peel my red potatoes because I like the color it adds to the dish, and it provides added nutrients) and place them in a 3 qt. casserole dish. Drizzle olive oil, thyme, and sea salt (I don’t bother to measure, just eye-ball it - a little more or less isn’t going to make a big difference) over the top and stir until veggies are evenly coated.  Bake uncovered for about 1  hour, or until veggies are tender and golden. I usually stir the vegetables once, about halfway through – but that’s not mandatory. Cooking time may vary slightly according to the size of your diced vegetables.

CSA root veggies 3  This is one of my absolute favorite winter dishes. Not only is it delicious, but it’s easy and frugal, too. You could use whatever root vegetables you have on hand, this is just what I happened to have. The goal is to fill the baking dish.

And if you’ve never tried a turnip or parsnip before, there’s no time like the present! They are pleasantly sweet with an earthy taste.

orange cloves

Mmm… Citrus and cloves. A heavenly aroma.

1 comment:

The Mac's House said...
This comment has been removed by the author.