Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nanny's Banana Nut Bread

One of my most prized possessions is an old cookbook I inherited from my grandmother. It's full of wonderful recipes that my "Nanny" cooked for us all the time. The pages are tattered and stained by years of use, and that's one of the things that makes it so special to me. Seriously, I can remember eating at my Nanny's house more often than eating at our own home while growing up. That said, I'm sure my memories are biased by my fondness of my grandmother and how much I miss her.

This was the recipe she used for Banana Nut Bread. Both she and my mother (who is also a fabulous cook) made it often, and since I began running my own household, I now make it every time I have extra bananas that need to be used. Super moist on the inside, and crusty good on the outside, it is definitely a family favorite.

Banana Nut Bread

3 ripe bananas

1/2 c. vegetable oil

2 eggs

2 c. self rising flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 c. firmly packed light brown sugar

1 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat bananas, oil, and eggs until bananas are mashed. Add dry ingredients and beat just until mixed. Fold in nuts. Bake about 50 minutes or until deep golden brown. Makes 2 loaves or 1 tube pan.

Can you tell that I've had tons of fresh fruit in the house this week? All that's left is the pineapple I just sliced up yesterday. I feel a pineapple upside-down cake coming on... I've been in Betty Crocker mode lately, no doubt.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Mmmm - looks delicious. I took your recipe from yesterday and I'm having a go at making strawberry freezer jam to go with it.

mayaluna said...

This looks great, Melissa...I'm always on the look-out for new recipes. I'm so darn sentimental, so I'll be thinking about YOUR grandma when I make it!